Sunday, May 04, 2008

Carlisle's Bucket List

In 2007, a film came out staring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called The Bucket List. The basic premise of the film was that the two main characters, one of whom is an eccentric millionaire, have both been diagnosed with terminal diseases and have a very short time left to live. So, together they create a “bucket list” - a list of all the things they'd like to do before they “kick the bucket.” It seems to have inspired others to create their own “bucket list” of things to do before they “shuffle of the mortal coil,” “become worm food,” “croak,” “meet their maker,” etc. What put me in mind of this was my buddy Jimmy, author of the blog Jabberwocky Asylum, who recently posted a list entitled “Before you Die!!” which is his list of ten random things everyone should do at least once in their lifetime.


So, here's mine – at least for now. I'm sure it'll get added to, subtracted from, edited and possibly even have a few things checked off (I hope) before I head off to Summerland especially since I'm not dying (that I know of). Oh, and I should mention that they're in no particular order.


  • visit Stonehenge

  • make a pilgrimage to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

  • visit a foreign country (Canada counts)

  • attend a NHL Stanley Cup playoff game (I've been to a NHL regular season game, just not a playoff game)

  • shoot Par for an entire round of golf

  • play golf on a course that's been played on either the PGA or LPGA Tour

  • play golf at Augusta National in Augusta, GA (where they play The Masters every year)

  • play golf with Tiger Woods or Natalie Gulbis (maybe one of them can teach me how not to slice my drives)

  • write a novel/book

  • have something I've written published

  • get Duff Goldman to make me a cake (preferably my wedding and/or groom's cake)

  • have a party (wedding?) catered by an Iron Chef (my favorites are Mario Batali and Michael Symon)

  • have a party catered by Robert Irvine (even though he lied on his resumé, he's still a freakin' awesome chef)

  • attend a Broadway play/musical on actual Broadway in New York City

  • be in Times Square on a New Year's Eve

  • go to DisneyLand (in Anaheim, CA) or DisneyWorld (in Orlando, FL)

  • appear in a movie (even as an extra would be cool)

  • win a sweepstakes or lottery (at least enough to pay off my debts but enough to do some of the other stuff on this list would be even better)

  • play in an officially sanctioned Magic: The Gathering® tournament

  • get married (we've been engaged for almost 5 years; maybe we'll get married before I die)

  • Collect and read all the books in the Magic: The Gathering® series of novels [in progress – to date I have collected 31 of them, and read two]

  • Take a tour of the White House

  • Visit and tour The Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC



These are just some of the things I've thought of while working on this week's blog entry. Feel free to share some of your “bucket list” items.


~ JC


Upcoming topics: Curbside Recycling Comes to Fayetteville, book review(s), movie review(s), and whatever other weird shit my mind thinks up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very impressive list sir.. You will tour the white house when we will the election sir so check that one off

Jimmy