Sunday, June 03, 2012

Sorry Ben, But Beer Doesn’t Love Me

A few months ago, I wrote a blog called “Ben Was Right... Mostly” about a quote accredited to Benjamin Franklin regarding how beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. That post also was about how I had discovered that I could no longer drink beer as it makes me extremely sick. Several people have suggested I try gluten free beer, or ciders, as a substitute. Alas, as of yesterday, I’ve surmised that even those options are closed to me. I recently went golfing with a friend; and event that, in the past, involved drinking beer more than it did actually playing golf. Knowing that I couldn’t drink beer, I bought a 16oz can of Mike’s Hard Lemonade instead. The end result was not pleasant.

By the time I got home, I had a horrible headache and felt nauseous. I went to bed at 4:00 in the afternoon, thinking I just needed a nap. I didn’t get up until 5:00am this morning. During that thirteen hours, I tossed, turned, threw up, and generally felt miserable as hell.

I really wish I knew for certain what happened that I can no longer drink beer, or even beer-like beverages, without getting so sick. It’s odd that I can drink liquor and mixed drinks without becoming so incapacitated. I would think, logically, that it should be the other way around, considering the much stronger nature of whiskey, rum, and vodka.

Whatever the reason, it’s become clear that I shall never be able to enjoy the simple pleasure of a cold beer again, I’m afraid.

~ JC

No comments: