Sunday, September 02, 2012

Sunday Ramblings

Ah, Sunday. That day of the week when I have no errands since I’ve done them all on Saturday and the only chore I really have to do is laundry, which isn’t really a chore considering that a pair of machines do all the actual work. Granted, I hate the folding and putting away part, but mostly doing laundry involves loading the washer, starting it, and waiting 30 or 40 minutes followed by transference of the the clothes to the dryer, starting it and waiting about an hour. But I digress as I’m not blogging about laundry. In fact, I’m not blogging about anything in particular today. It’s a random, run-by, blogging sort of day.

Since I began this quest back in January to actually post something every Sunday, there have been weeks that I’ve struggled to think of anything to write about. Today is one of those days. It’s also the Sunday before Labor Day here in the United States, so tomorrow is a paid day off for me and many others. That actually makes it a bit more difficult to think of anything to write because I think my brain thinks it’s still Saturday and tomorrow is Sunday so it doesn’t believe it’s supposed to be coming up with a blog topic.

Speaking of Labor Day, haven't you ever found it odd that folks take the day off on a day called “Labor” day? So, I Googled Labor Day, because, let’s be honest, most Americans happily celebrate holidays without knowing exactly what the fuck they are for. Wikipedia has this to say about Labor Day:

Labor Day is an American federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (September 3 in 2012) that celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers.Labor Day pays tribute to the contributions and achievements of American workers. It also symbolizes the end of summer for many Americans, and is celebrated with parties, parades and athletic events 1

So, we celebrate the contributions of workers by not working. Ok. Well, banks and various professional offices don’t work. The people who actual labor probably still have to work, ironically enough. I know when I worked retail, holidays like Labor Day meant jack shit in terms of time off because retail stores only (begrudgingly) close two days a year (Christmas and Thanksgiving).

My “plans” for Labor Day weekend involve the aforementioned laundry (already in progress), grocery shopping (completed on Saturday), trying to finish reading Catching Fire and working on building/painting Warhammer 40k models. Sound exciting, eh? Oh, and sleeping. Sleeping is always a fun activity on any weekend, especially after a week of going into the office at 6:00 AM everyday when I normally don’t go in until 7:30 AM.

Roxanne also DVR'd the entire BBC America replay of the last Doctor Who season yesterday. There’s a book festival in Decatur today. We missed (are missing) Dragon*Con this year due to budgetary reasons (and lack of prior planning on my part).

For now, though, I’m just going to go pour another cup of coffee and wait for the dryer to buzz.

~ JC

----
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Day - accessed September 1, 2012

No comments: